Wednesday 2 February 2011

Target audience research


To create a sucessfull music magazine i have created a quesitonnaire that i handed out to 20 random people between the ages 16-20 year olds, as this age group was my target audience. This helped me to get some background information on what peopple expect to see in my music magazine, so that it will appeal to them.




I handed out 20 of my questionnaires and have collected the results to give some fairly definite decisions on some features of my magazine. They are as follows;

From the results, you can see that RnB and hip hop were the most popular ones. so when it comes to designing my magazine i will have to consider this. I am very pleased with the results for this question as i wanted to feature this type of music.

This question allowed me to get some audience feedback on what colors they expect to see in music magazines. no-one picked black and white, which means that when i come to designing my magazine i will have to try and avoid black and white. however the majority of the people asked preferred bright colors. This result wont affect what i was originally was planning to do as this was what i had in mind. 


I randomly selected 3 possible names for my magazine and i let my target audience to chose as this would purchased by them. The most popular name was Beatz, with 12/20 people choosing this as the masthead of the magazine. i am very pleased with the result as this was my favorite name out of the others, as this suited the RnB and hop hop theme for my magazine. 

This fourth question was asking about how the image on the front cover of the magazine should appear . 12 people thought that the artist should be looking directly into the camera lens so that when the magazine is published and printed no matter where you look at the person on the page, their eye contact will re-main focused on you. so i will have to consider this when it comes to taking photos for my front cover.
I let my target audience to choose who they want to see on the front page of  my magazine. By looking at the results you can see that 9 people chose to see a solo female artist. I was already considering on using a female artist as i think they look quite nice on the front page with their `cheeky` attitude showing. I wouldn't of had been bothered if the solo male artist was the most popular one but if groups were popular then i would of had to consider to look elsewhere as this would be a hassle in doing and fitting people on the page. I still haven't come across a RnB music magazine that has a group on the front cover, which is slightly unusual. 

This question was asked to that i could get an idea of what type of shot should be taken of the main image on the front cover.  From the results i can conclude that midshot was chosen by the majority of thepeople asked closely followed by a full length. So this means that when it comes to designing my magazine frontcover i will have to use a mid shot of a solo female artist.

This quesition is about the image colour. This is the most importnat feature of any magazine. without images the magazine will look lifeless. From the results i can say that 12 people selected images to appear in full colour. This is the result i was expecting as most RnB and Hip Hop magazines only use full colour, you dont expect to see any black and white images unless it was a jazz/rock magazine.



From this quesiton i will be able to present and lay out my magazine contents  page so that it attracts/suits the target audience. From the results image on one side and the contents to be placed on the other. This is how i was origionally planning on on laying out my contents page. `Images and text mixed together` was the unpoular. This is probably because this page is important as its the one followed by the front cover, so that it has to looks good and doesnt put people off staright away. Having images and text mixed together will cause confusion.

This question is about my double page spread and how the image and the text should appear on the page. From the results i can say that 13 people chose that they wanted to see the image to stand out from the text. This will be hard in doind as i will have to edit the image so that its highlighted and looks like it is popping out of the page.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment